Selling your home is a big deal; it’s one of the biggest transactions you will make in your life. Some of you may try to sell your home “For Sale By Owner”, but you may not realize the benefits of listing your home with an agent. Here are questions to ask yourself before you decide to sell it yourself.
- Do you have the time and energy during the day to show your house, and often, on short notice?
- Are you knowledgeable about real estate contracts, disclosures and addendums?
- Do you know which contracts and disclosures are required in a sale?
- Do you have access to any legal real estate contracts? (and no, you can’t write your own) if not, you have to pay an attorney to write your contracts.
- Do you know how much your home is worth? In my experience, people think their house is worth 15-30% more than what it is. For instance, how old is the roof, water heater, furnace, a.c. unit, does your bathrooms and kitchen need updated? What about the paint, carpet, windows, doors, light fixtures, plumbing, wiring…etc. You may find out that once you find a buyer, the inspections will leave you with a large laundry list of things you must do before it can be approved for a loan.
- Do you know how to effectively market your home, or do you plan on putting a sign in the yard and waiting for someone to drive by?
- Do you know which of your buyers are actually financially qualified, or pre-approved to buy your house, or are they just wasting your time?
Real estate agents, such as myself, are well versed in real estate contracts. We don’t require a lawyer to approve our transactions, and are experts at selling houses. While you are busy at work, we are doing our job marketing your house, finding qualified buyers, and making the process as simple and painless for you! Remember, agents don’t get paid until your house sells, so we are motivated to sell your home quick!
Still not convinced? Take the FSBO quiz to see if you should sell yourself or hire an agent.
Curious how much your house would sell for, or are you ready to sell? Contact me for a free estimate.